What to do when...You can’t log onto your computer or any computer on campus with your username and password
Check the following:
- Restart the computer and try logging on again. It's worth a try!
- Ensure that the computer is not locked by another user. Usually when a computer is locked by another user you will see the following message:
‘Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to unlock this computer'
John Doe (CLAFLIN\John.Doe) is logged on
If a computer is locked by another user, click Switch User and then click Other User. If the last user did not log off, the computer will automatically lock after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- Ensure that you are using the correct user name and password. (don't type more than 2 times; will get locked out after 3 incorrect tries.)
Usernames should be all lowercase letters and passwords should be at least 8 characters long.
- Ensure that the CAPS lock is not turned on.
- Ensure that you are logging onto your account. With Windows 7, the username of the last person to log on will be displayed. Make sure you click Switch user, then click Other user. Type your username and password.
- The network may be down. If the network is down, you will not be able to log onto the computer.
- Check to see if your network cable is loose or unplugged.
- If the computer says "no logon servers are available", report the problem and move to another computer if possible.
If all of the following fail in resolving your problem, please call the Helpdesk at 803-535-5SOS