Early Alert, a student success initiative, is a campus-wide collaboration through mutual interests to identify students who may be at risk for academic, financial, personal, or social difficulties. As a collaborative effort, two components were emerged to ensure early intervention with our students: Academic Early Alert and Recruit-Back Programs.
The Early Alert, student success initiative, is designed as a timely intervention for students who are having academic difficulty at any point during the academic semester. Early Alert gives faculty and student services the opportunity to address students’ needs and access support services. The program strives to assist faculty and staff in improving the motivation and performance of students to successfully persist and graduate timely.
Claflin University’s Early Alert program is developed for all stakeholders (faculty, staff, administrators, and counselors) to work together as a team in an involved, proactive and supportive manner to increase student retention and success. Early Alert works to enhance the academic experience of faculty and students. It is not intended to replace the necessity of faculty/student engagement. It is designed to be used when additional resources are needed after faculty intervention.
At Claflin University, we believe in being intentional about helping students succeed. The retention research strongly supports the value of creating a personalized educational experience through intentional, intrusive advising that monitors students’ progress and intervenes if problems arise.
To provide learning opportunities that will further engage students in their academic and social experiences by offering personal, solution-focused assistance earlier that leads to successful student outcomes.
- Improve student academic success
- Improve communication between students and faculty
- Improve communication between students and academic advisors
- Improve student utilization of student service offices
- Improve student persistence and graduation rates each year
- Increase first year retention rate each year
- Decrease the number of first time freshman on academic probation after the first semester
- Increase high risk course completion rate for first time freshman each year
- Increase the number of faculty who refer students for early alert each semester
Why an Early Alert Program at Claflin University?
Good is not Good Anymore!! We are moving from Great to Greater at Claflin University for preparing our students to graduate as productive leaders and contributors globally and in their communities.
At-Risk students often need help Day 1….
- Students receive early and individualized feedback and contact from retention, student conduct, and academic support staff
- Early Alert + Early Intervention = Increased Student Success and Retention
- Improve crisis prevention and risk management
- Early Alert is a key tool in the student retention arsenal
- It costs more to recruit a student than it does to retain a student
TutorTrac Early Alert Features
- Provides a quick and easy web-based interface for instructors
- Provides more detailed alert information from instructors
- Consolidates and summarizes student, course and alert data for advisors
- Provides information to student services offices to assist engaging students with Early Alert details
- Automatically notifies the student via email that an early alert has been submitted
Gives faculty ongoing access to early alert status
The Early Alert program targets all enrolled students at the institution. It is designed to provide faculty with the opportunity to refer students that may be facing academic distress in his/her course.
Login to Early Alert