Dr. Verlie A. Tisdale
Dr. Tisdale counts among her greatest accomplishments all of the young men and women who have gone on to become physicians, surgeons, dentists, allied health care professionals and professors.
Dr. Verlie Tisdale was educated in the public schools of Lake City, South Carolina, graduating the Salutatorian of the Class of 1967 at Carver High School. Dr. Tisdale earned her B.S. degree in Chemistry and Biology at Claflin University and earned both the Master of Science degree and the Ph.D from Atlanta University in Atlanta, Georgia. She did further study and earned her Management Development Certification at Harvard University in Cambridge Massachusetts.
Dr. Tisdale began her teaching career at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia. She has also held teaching positions at Morris Brown College in Atlanta; Houston Community College, Houston, Texas; North Harris County College, Houston, Texas; and Prairie View A&M University in Prairie View, Texas.
Ph.D. 1979, Atlanta University, Biology
Dissertation Title: “Localization of Alkaline Phosphatase in Lymphoid Tissues of C57 BL/J6 Mice During An Immune Response”.
MS 1974, Atlanta University, Biology
Thesis Title: “Substrate Specificity of Alkaline Phosphatase in Fetal and Leukemic Tissues”.
BS 1971, Claflin University Biology/Chemistry.
Dr. Tisdale is the recipient of several awards including the George E. Brown SNMA Region III Premedical Advisor Award, the 1993 Iowa College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Outstanding Advisor Award and twice the recipient of the Prairie View A&M University Advisor Award. In 1994, she was inducted into Florence County South Carolina School District III Academic Hall of Fame. She is listed in several editions of Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, was recognized by the Orangeburg Business Community and the First National Bank as the 2002 Distinguished University Educator of the year and the 2004 General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of the United Methodist Church for Exemplary Teaching. Under her leadership, Claflin University Mathematics and Computer Science Department received certification from the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics and the Chemistry Department received the American Chemistry Society (ACS) approval. She has hired award winning faculty including the National Millennium Award for Excellence in Teaching (2002, 2004), the South Carolina Governors Professor of the Year at a four-year Institution, 2005 and the 2006 South Carolina Governor’s Co-Professors of the year in Research Awareness. She serves her community in numerous capacities and is a member of several Civic organizations. She is the Board Chair for the Orangeburg Wesley Foundation, the Board Chair for the Orangeburg Consolidated School District 5 High School for Health Professions Charter School, the Vice Chair of the Tri-County Health Network and the Chairperson of the Higher Education Ministry for her Church.
Dr. Tisdale’s focus is on preparing students for graduate and professional schools. She specifically works with students preparing for and applying to medical, dental and veterinary schools where she serves as their Academic Advisor. She works work with them in one-on-one sessions and by mentoring and advising and by giving workshops on preparing for the next steps in reaching their professional goal.
She served as the Principle Investigator for several grants including the NSF EPSCoR RII “South Carolina Project for Organ Biofabrication”, the PI for the Regional Medical Center Public Health Grant and the Program Director for the Masters Graduate Program grant.
Activities and Honors
- SNMA Region III George Brown Premedical Award 1993
- Prairie View A&M University New Achiever Award1993
- Iowa College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Outstanding1993
- Outstanding Advisor Award Prairie View A&M University New Achiever Award 1994
- Florence County School District Three Hall of Fame Award (Inducted) 1996
- National Institute for Staff & Organizational Development (NISOD) Award 1999
- Congressional Recognition, Eighteenth Congressional District of Texas Educational Excellence Award 1998
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers 2000
- Recognized by First National Bank as the 2002 Distinguished University Educator of Orangeburg, SC
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers 2002
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers 2004
- General Board of Higher Education Ministry, Exemplary Award 2004United Methodist Church
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers 2005
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers 2006
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers 2007
- National Society of Leadership and Success 2015 “Outstanding Leadership and Services Award”
- Peters, A.W. and V.A. Tisdale, (2015). “Paradigm Shift: Infusing Research into Teaching and Learning at Claflin University”; Infusing Research into Historically Black Colleges and Universities Curricula; Diversity in Higher Education, Volume 17, 47 – 61. Emerald Group Publishing Limited; ISSN: 1479-3644/doi: 10.1108/S1479-364420150000017003
- “Remembering the Past, Celebrating the Future”; Carver High School Alumni Association, Lake City, SC. September 2012
- “Maintaining Christian Values In Times Like These” New Grace United Methodist Church, St. George, SC. November 2014
- Samina Noorali, Muhammad Sheraz, Shaniqua S. Tisdale, Stacey S. Dallas, Lauren M. Simons, Raquel S. White, Verlie A. Tisdale. Effect of Differentially Expressed MicroRNAs 602 and 323-5p on Hepatitis C Virus Genotype 1b Viral Load in Infected Liver Cells. Journal of Infectious Disease and Therapy, 2014; 2(3): doi:10.4172/2332-0877.1000138.
- “We Have Not Arrived: The Charge” St Michael United Methodist Church, Kingstree SC Black History Month Program; February 2015
- “The Impact of Undergraduate Research at Claflin University”,Preparate/A Dream Deferred/Historically Black Colleges and Universities; College Board Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. March 2015
- “Back to School Messag: Responsibility,Good Character and Success” St. Michael United Methodist, Kingstree, SC 2015
- “Infusing Undergraduate Research into Historically Black Colleges and Universities Curricula: Paradigm Shift: Infusing Research into Teaching and Learning at Claflin University”; Chapter 3 by Angela Peters, Ph.D. and Verlie A. Tisdale, Ph.D. December 2015.
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013…