Search

Claflin News

Claflin University Alumnus Andre’ Williams Appointed as New Police Chief in Chester

Sep 30, 2011

Credit: Jonathan McFadden / The News & Reporter

Veteran law man Andre’ Williams, ’11, did not take long to put his degree from Claflin University to good use.  He was recently tapped to be the new police chief for the City of Chester, an appointment he attributes to the education he received at Claflin.

“President (Dr. Henry N.) Tisdale’s vision for the continuing education program at Claflin helped me to further my career,” said Williams, who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice and sociology.  “It was an outstanding educational experience that I would recommend to anyone working in law enforcement.”

Williams was appointed to the position by the Chester City Council in early July.  He will be officially sworn in on July 29. 

“I feel honored and blessed,” he said of his new job. 

As police chief, the 38-year-old said he will have an open door policy in leading law enforcement efforts in the city of more than 30,000 people.  He will be in charge of 27 officers and hopes to hire more to keep Chester’s streets safer.

“Right now, I ‘m trying to get to know the public.  I want my office to exemplify professionalism.  In the future, my officers will receive more training and top-of-the-line equipment.”

Previously, Williams served in the narcotics and investigation division of the Colleton County Police Department.  He began his career in the U.S. Army, where he served six years.  Then, he worked as corrections officer in Allendale before serving as a shift sergeant at the Ridgeland Correctional Institution until 2000.  He also served on the SWAT team in as well. 

In Colleton, Williams also worked in the warrants division and as a detective during his 11-year tenure.  In addition, Williams is a part-time member of the U.S. Marshalls Service with the Charleston office.

Williams emerged from a pack of other experienced law enforcement veterans to capture his new job.  He credits his education at Claflin for separating himself from the other candidates. 

“I think my education and experience pushed me over the top – more so the degree at Claflin,” said Williams.

The newly minted police chief also said Dr. Gloria Seabrook, interim director of Claflin’s Professional and Continuing Studies Program, was an instrumentally encouraging part of his success.

“Claflin University and Andre’ Williams mutually benefitted from each other,” said Seabrook.  “Like in life, Andre is a leader in the classroom who inspired his classmates.  His experience at Claflin has allowed him to flourish.”

Williams enjoys playing and watching basketball.  He is the father of four children.

###

Claflin Photos