Search

Claflin News

Claflin University Senior Aubrey Jackson Interviews TV Personality Tyra Banks for mtvU

Sep 19, 2012

Senior Aubrey Jackson has been rubbing elbows with some of the entertainment industry’s biggest names lately.  Serving as student journalist for mtvU, Jackson recently interviewed Tyra Banks, host of America’s Next Top Model and former cover girl for Sports Illustrated’s famous swimsuit edition.

“I felt like I was talking to a friend,” Jackson said of experience interviewing Banks.  “She was very down to earth.”

The network mtvU covers all aspects of college life.  Jackson is currently at Boston University as part of a student exchange program established between that institution and Claflin University.  This summer, she interned at ABC’s Good Morning America where she worked with Robin Roberts and Katie Couric, among others.  She was even featured on air during GMA’s July 4th episode. 

Jackson said shooting the Banks piece was somewhat chaotic that involving several flights due to moving to Boston for the semester and meeting the star in New York City.   The interview discussed the new season of America’s Next Top Model, which will feature college students exclusively for the first time.  Jackson also asked Banks questions submitted from Twitter. 

“I would definitely say the greatest thing about interviewing Tyra was the confirmation that this is what I want to do,” says Jackson, who was Miss Homecoming 2011 at the University.  “I felt nervous but once the cameras started rolling I went to work.”

Jackson has a laser focus on becoming the next Giuliana Rancic, host of E!  News.

“I would love to be on a network such as E! covering pop news.  It wouldn’t even feel like I’m working because it would be so much fun,” she said.

Claflin Photos