Search

Claflin News

Kristen Bell Ready for All to ‘SHINE’ as Miss Claflin University 2012-2013

Oct 26, 2012
Kristen E. Bell was officially crowned Miss Claflin 2012-2013 during a coronation ceremony on Oct. 21.  

Bell is thoroughly active and engaged on the campus and in the community.  A member of the Alice Carson Tisdale Honors College, she has been on the cheerleading squad and served as vice president of the Student Government Association.  In addition, Bell was the class president her first two years at the University and a tutor for the institution’s Upward Bound program. 

Bell, a senior mass communications major, said it was a tremendous honor to be elected Miss Claflin 2012-2013 by her classmates.  “It’s very, very exciting.  I have great expectations for my reign to be successful by positively impacting the student body and community at-large,” said Bell.

A native of Spartanburg, Bell’s platform as Miss Claflin is titled “Shaping Healthy Images in Everyone (SHINE)”.

SHINE will be focused on promoting healthy self-esteem physically and emotionally.  Bell said she wants to improve the health of the campus and community by working closely with campus organizations, in addition to speaking to local school children and churches.  She plans to host running and cooking with Miss Claflin activities for students to join in. 

“Self-esteems issues are the basis of many issues facing young women,” said Bell.  “I want to utilize my role to assist in reversing this trend.”

She credits Claflin for shaping her into the young visionary she is today.  “When I stepped on campus here in 2009, I was someone completely different.  Now, I am better version of myself.  The education and leadership skills I’ve obtained at Claflin have meant everything.  My Claflin University family has meant everything,” said Bell.

While at the University, Bell has held internships with Bluecross Blueshield, WYFF 4 News in Greenville and Claflin’s Office of Communications and Marketing.

She has aspirations to become the state superintendent of education one day.  Her immediate plans are either to work for Teacher for America, a national organization which places teachers in at-risk, low income districts, or attend graduate school with the ultimate goal of receiving a doctorate in counseling.

Claflin Photos