Search

Claflin News

Claflin student in Washington for anniversary of march

Oct 30, 2013
By KEIKO COOLEY

Fifty years ago the African-American community came together to protest injustice in the March on Washington. In August, I had the opportunity of participating in the 50th anniversary Commemorative March on Washington.

It was an absolutely insightful, encouraging experience. Prior to the weekend, I had never seen so many people, let alone African-American people who were gathered for a cause that was bigger than their own agenda.

There were people protesting the “new Jim Crow,” “mass incarceration” and “the right to affordable education,” along with other issues.

The cause that was most heartbreaking and exciting for me was that of equality.

With the current murders of numerous African-American teens, it was just to see people give of their time and energy to a noble cause. However, it was heartbreaking since hundreds of my ancestors perished for the same reasons as those teens: being an African-American in America.

Being in Washington surrounded by people who were there for the same reason as me was empowering. It is an experience that I will never forget.

It was the highlighting of cries for justice.

It was the highlighting of cries for peace and civility.

It was the highlighting of the young and old coming together despite generational gaps for a common cause.

It was the highlighting of people who desire a better tomorrow because today is not all that is should be.

Claflin Photos