Search

Claflin News

Homecoming 2013: Holman sees Miss Homecoming as more than a title

Nov 15, 2013

By TARYN HARGROVE
The Panther Assistant Editor

On Sunday Nov. 10, Lia E. Holman was crowned as Claflin's Miss Homecoming 2013-2014.

Friends and family gathered to support Holman as she took her first walk after officially being crowned. During her speech, Holman described the moment as an unforgettable experience.Miss Homecoming 2013 Lia Holman

"Being Miss Homecoming is more than just a title, it's an honor to serve as the face of Homecoming and to represent Claflin University well," Holman said. "I'm ready to see what the future holds and I am extremely blessed to be afforded this opportunity."

Holman's sorority sister, Jerilyn Gamble, performed a musical selection, I'm Here from the stage play "The Color Purple" that moved Holman to tears. "I love that my friends, family and sorority sisters were here to celebrate this momentous occasion with me," Holman said. "All of the love I felt was just an amazing feeling and I am forever grateful." 

President Henry N. Tisdale described Holman as a young lady with all of the qualities that Miss Homecoming should possess.

"Lia definitely has the Claflin confidence and the student body couldn't have chosen a better Miss. Homecoming," Tisdale said. "I can't wait to see all of the accomplishments Lia will encounter in the future."

He also noted that this Homecoming is special to him because it is the 20th that he and the first lady will be celebrating at Claflin.

"I hold Lia responsible for the basketball teams winning this year." Tisdale said jokingly. "I'm accountable for all the other games, but Homecoming definitely falls on Lia."

Holman, a native of Spartanburg, plans to pursue a master's degree in voice and education. It is her hope to travel the world sharing her extraordinary talents.

(Panther photo by Shankar Prajapati)

Claflin Photos