Search

Claflin News

2010 Claflin alum Megan Rivers is WLTX-TV producer with passion for media

Mar 18, 2014

Megan Rivers stressed the value of social networks such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, telling students to use the networks to connect with their communities. (Panther photo) 

Compiled from reports by Eva Freeman, Andres Waters and Princess Williams

Megan Rivers, a 20010 graduate of Claflin University and a WLTX-TV 19 multimedia producer, is passionate about her work.

During a Feb. 4 news conference with mass communication students, she detailed her journey from Claflin student to graduate, as well as the further transition to being a full-time employee in the media industry. And she stressed to students the importance of interning.

“When I came to Claflin, my first little stint in anything in journalism was with the radio station,” Rivers said. “At the time, local radio station 102.9 wanted a student to record commercials and broadcast homecoming live. I was a freshman and Mr. (Mike) Farewell recommended me.”

She went on to hold various positions and record achievements at 102.9.

“I just kind of stuck around, and they gave me a job. I worked with them the four years I was in school and then the year after.”

Following her employment at 102.9, Rivers held various positions in non-media industries. But the media did not forget the unique talents they had seen in her.

“One day I was on my way to work, a job that I was content with having. I wasn’t happy but I was OK. It was Marybeth Jacoby, the news director for WLTX, and she said ‘Max, wanna move back home.’ I said, ‘Sure, what’s up?’ Then she said, ‘You wanna be a news producer?’ I said, ‘Sure, when do I start?’”

That one phone call landed Rivers back in the media industry.

“Understand that building relationships and interning are the most important things you can do in college,” Rivers said. “Make sure people remember your name.”

Rivers stressed the value of social networks such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, telling students to use the networks to connect with their communities.

“If you don’t have a following on Facebook and Twitter, you need to get that up,” Rivers said.

“Work hard now so later on the doors you want to open will open for you,” Rivers said.

Rivers is passionate about what she does at WLTX and hopes to continue working there in various positions.

“I wanna be both, I love being a producer, but want to be a reporter. I want to be the person that tells you a story and you remember where I told you that story.”

Rivers currently produces the 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. Saturday and Sunday newscasts. In addition, she produces the 11 a.m. newscast.

Claflin Photos