Search

Claflin News

CALA-Bash film festival winner finds inspiration in winning twice

Apr 16, 2014

By JAYLA McCAW
The Panther 

Everybody's a filmmaker today. - John Milius

The annual Calabash film festival took is open to entries from all students at Claflin University.

The purpose of the event is to bring attention to student film-making talent and artistic vision on Claflin's campus.

Students submitted work in two categories: Documentary and Short-Film.

Winners were selected by the number of views on YouTube received in 24 hours.  Cash prizes, certificates and T-shirts were given to the winners.

Following is an interview with a winner from both categories, Imani S. Davis. She is a junior mass communications major concentrating in digital media.

Q: When did you get into videography?

My interest in videography and editing began my freshman year in college. I was always interested in television production since high school, but at that time in my life, I wanted to be a host.

Q: Who inspires you as a film-maker?

I'm inspired by a variety of people, especially my mentor Kalina Harrison. She really took me under her wing when I first began editing and producing videos. But I draw inspiration from everyday life and imagination. Anything exciting, different and fresh, or something impacting my community or environment inspires my film-making. Also, I look up to all African American females in the media industry. Being black and female in the media can be challenging, being a minority by race and gender. I am really fond of Mara Brock Akil, even though she is mainly a writer. But of course the genius Spike Lee is a huge inspiration, as well as any independent film-makers.

Q: Future goals?

My future goals are to open my own production company, as well as become an executive editor or producer for a major network. As long as I'm working in the field, turning thoughts and ideas into reality, I will be content.

Q: What do your achievements at this year's film festival mean to you?

Wow, these achievements mean the world to me. This was actually the first film festival contest I have ever won. It just assures me I'm doing something right and my hard work is paying off. In the past year, I have dealt with setbacks as well as the dreaded word "NO," and was overlooked for awards I thought I deserved. So to win not only once, but twice, was God's way of saying, "Keep going, you're on the right track kid." (laughs) But honestly I'm thankful to have won and I'm beyond thankful to everyone who assisted in my success. I would not have been able to do any of this without the help of God, my dad, and my team! (Team Imani!)

Claflin Photos