Upward Bound Math & Science
The Claflin University PRISM Program is an Upward Bound Math and Science Regional Center and is a federally funded TRIO Program. Since 1990, this program has successfully helped students overcome academic, cultural, and social barriers to higher education in science and math related areas. UBMS/PRISM provides a highly focused learning experience in science and mathematics for students with sharp minds and can-do spirits.
The UBMS/PRISM Program is designed for students who have a strong interest in pursing a career in a science, math or technology related field. In order to participate in the program, one must:
- Have a keen interest in a science or math career.
- Be enrolled in the 9th, 10th or 11th grade.
- Be enrolled in or have successfully completed Algebra I and Physical Science, unless it is not offered at a student’s respective high school
- Reside in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina or Tennessee
- Participate in Upward Bound or Talent Search or be eligible for participation (by meeting federal guidelines for income and/or be a potential first generation college student.)
Pursuing Rewards In Mathematics & Science
The program provides an intense, six-week residential summer component and an academic component with advising and counseling as well. The summer component college living experience includes:
- Classroom and laboratory instruction in mathematics( algebra 2, geometry, pre-calculus, or calculus), science (biology, chemistry or physics), computer science, English/literature and basic Latin
- Shadowing and/or Mentoring
- Career related field trips
- Guest lecturers
- Student research
The UpwardBound Math & Science Program is offered at no expense to eligible participants. The goal of the program is to provide students with the opportunity to achieve academic success. Participants and parents are expected to abide by the terms of the program. Failure to comply can result in the dismissal of a participant from the program. Students who complete the session and exhibit satisfactory participation receive stipends. All fees, including travel, food, and lodging expenses, associated with participation in the program will be paid by the Upward Bound Math and Science Program (PRISM).
For more information please contact:
Phone: (803) 268-1142