Mr. Nathan Chaplin III
With his distinguished record in industry and academia, Dr. Chaplin’s innovative style of teaching prepares students to enter careers in professional and intercollegiate sports, event and venue management, and Olympic sports.
Dr. Nathan Chaplin III brings a wealth of industry and academic knowledge to the classroom. His diverse experiences in athletic fundraising and development (donor relations and event operations and logistics) and facility management give Claflin’s sport and recreation programs a firm fitting among America’s elite Sport Management programs. Dr. Chaplin’s pedagogical training remains relevant through his continued work with the University of South Carolina at Columbia Football Game Day Operations team.
- Ed.D. in Education Leadership with a concentration in Higher Education from University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- M.S. in Sport and Entertainment Management from University of South Carolina at Columbia
- B.S. in Sport and Entertainment Management from University of South Carolina at Columbia
- Academic Preparedness of African American Student Athletes who attend NCAA Division I Predominantly White Institutions
- African American Student Athletes Perceptions of Faculty Members outlook on their Coursework
Dr. Chaplin came to Claflin University thirteen years ago after working with the University of South Carolina Athletics Department. While there he worked extensively with the student and junior gamecock club and assisted the general club. In this role, Dr. Chaplin gained valuable knowledge in subject areas such as development and fundraising, event management, facility management, marketing and promotions, sales, NCAA compliance, and public relations.
Dr. Chaplin also plays a vital role in the academy. His educational training and professional experiences have paved the way for teaching courses in sport marketing, sport law, ethics in sport management, facility management, and project management. In 2012, Dr. Chaplin was named program coordinator of the Claflin University Sport Management and Human Performance division.
Activities and Honors
- Project director, Claflin University CDF Freedom School, reading and learning loss prevention program for K-12
- Hospitality Retail & Sports Management Academic Award, University of South Carolina at Columbia
- Service Award, School of Education, Claflin University Academic Affairs Division
- McClary, B., Chaplin, N., & Proctor-Walden, N. (2019). Science teaching self-efficacy: Experiential learning for middle level preservice teachers. Teacher Education Journal of South Carolina, 13(1), 93-103.
- Chaplin III, N. & Lim, J. (2020, Apr 17 - 21) Becoming the "Ultimate Competitor": African American Male Student Athletes' Academic Experiences at Predominantly White Institutions [Paper Session]. AERA Annual Meeting San Francisco, CA http://tinyurl.com/t6beft6 (Conference Canceled)
- Chaplin III, N., & Lim, J. (2020). Becoming the "Ultimate Competitor": African American Male Student Athletes' Academic Experiences at Predominantly White Institutions. Journal of Business Diversity, 20(4), 1-9.