Sustainability begins at home. See some of the many ways we are reducing our environmental impact and promoting a healthier planet.
- Princeton Review's Guide to 361 Green Colleges
- Building Green Initiative Top 10 Green HBCUs
- Recognized in 2013 by the Clark Atlanta University Building Green Initiative
- Won the $25,000 Grand Prize in PepsiCo Recycling's Campus Recycling Challenge
- Signed the "American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment"
Commitment to Sustainability
Claflin's remarkable commitment to sustainability is evident university wide!
- Earth Day Celebration/Tree Planting - Yearly community event featuring local businesses and organizations who support sustainability.
- Cutting-edge research with biofuels and bioremediation. Our world-class faculty have added research related to removing Chromium-6, a cancer-causing chemical found in our drinking water.
- Hybrid Campus Cars - Vehicles such as the Ford Fusion and the Toyota Prius were purchased and are used for long distance travel and school use.
- Dining hall trays have been eliminated to conserve water.
- Fiscal Affairs Green Projects - Online direct deposit, online check stubs and electronic timesheets significantly reduces the use of paper forms.
- Campus recycling containers located in all buildings on campus and on the yard.
- A new campus energy policy launched in 2014, establishing standards and guidelines for energy use at Claflin.
- Water Bottle Filtration System - located in various campus buildings as water fill-up stations.
- Solar panel systems on the dining hall, Corson Hall and Kleist Hall reduce energy consumption.
- Biodigester equipment in the dining hall composts food waste.
- The construction of Claflin Commons includes an energy recovery ventilation system that provides better indoor air quality and reduces energy costs.
- Hydris, an on-site Generation system, produces a green cleaning solution that is utilized by housekeeping.
- Clothing Donation - Clothing that is left by students in the residential halls after spring semester is donated to Goodwill.
Environmental Impact Report
Download the Environmental Impact Report - 2016 (PDF)
Download the Environmental Impact Report - 2017 (PDF)
Download the Sustainability at Claflin University
The Earth Charter