Dr. Somasundaram Velummylum
Dr. Velummylum brings to Claflin University international teaching experience in undergraduate and graduate level mathematics courses.
Dr. Velummylum brought to Claflin University an international teaching experience in undergraduate and graduate level mathematics courses. During his tenure at Claflin as a department chair for the department of Mathematics and Computer Science he attracted qualified junior faculty and was able to retain them.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Differential Equations from North Carolina State University
- Master of Science degree in Mathematics from University of South Carolina
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics with a minor in Statistics from University of Jaffna-Srilanka.
Use of Maple Software for Teaching and Learning of Mathematics at the undergraduate level.
Dr. Velummylum’s college level teaching experience started internationally in Srilanka for ten years and continued at Claflin for eighteen years . His pedagogy experience is on use of Maple software for teaching and learning of mathematics at Claflin University. As a former chair of the department of mathematics and computer science at Claflin the first grant proposal written by Dr.Velummylum, was to receive twenty five Maple licenses for Claflin University and the grant was partially funded by South Carolina Alliance for Minority Participation. Since that time he has taught and researched on the use of technology for effective teaching and learning of mathematics courses at least at the level of differential calculus. This had allowed him to write and present contributed papers to the ICTCM (International Conference on Technology in Collegiate Mathematics) conference for fifteen years and some of those papers were published in the e-Journal of the conference proceedings.
Activities and Honors
- Exemplary Teaching award at Claflin from the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of The United Methodist Church.
- Certificate of Appreciation for dedicated service as Research –Mentor for the HBCU-UP Summer Institute at Claflin
- Special Certificate of Recognition from Center for Excellence in Teaching awarded to the department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Claflin while serving as Chair and the Principal Complier of the report submitted to the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Certificate of Nomination for award nominated by one or more students for First Year Experience Instructor of the Year.