Let’s C U vote

Nov 02, 2018

With the election date around the corner, it’s important that students, especially at Claflin, take the time to vote. This is not a presidential election year, but voters on Nov. 6 will decide on a lot of other elected officials, from the national to the local levels.

What every Claflin student needs to know about voting

As a college student, you can choose to vote in the district where you live at school or via absentee ballot in your home district -- or by going home to vote in person.

Voting in South Carolina

If you attend college in South Carolina but are a resident of another state, contact the state election official in your home state for information about the voter qualifications and procedures for voting absentee in your home state. In most cases, if you vote in an election in South Carolina, your residency will change from your home state to South Carolina.
In order to vote, South Carolina law requires one must first register to vote at least 30 days prior to the election. To be eligible to register in South Carolina you MUST:

Be a United States citizen.

Be at least 18 years old on or before the election.

Be a resident of South Carolina.

Not be under a court order declaring you mentally incompetent.

Not be confined in any public prison resulting from a conviction of a crime.

Have never been convicted of a felony or offense against the election laws OR if previously convicted, have served the entire sentence, including probation or parole, or have received a pardon for the conviction.

Where to vote as a student

Voting in your hometown
If you attend college in your hometown and still reside at home, you vote in the precinct (voting area) of your residence.
If you attend school away from your South Carolina residence and you live on or off campus, you may still vote in your hometown elections if your address is still associated to that residence. You can do this either by absentee voting or by voting in person on Election Day at your hometown precinct polling place.

Voting in your college town
 You may vote in your college town by updating your identification to reflect the address at which you reside while attending school. You must reside at the address for at least 30 days immediately preceding the election in order to be a resident of the precinct.

Absentee voting

If a student chooses to vote in his or her home district or home state, and the student will not travel to that precinct on Election Day to cast a ballot, the student will need to request an absentee ballot prior to the election. Students who are eligible for absentee voting can request an absentee ballot in person or by mail from the  voter registration office in the county where they are registered.
Visit the County Voter Registration Office.in your county of residence, complete an application and cast your ballot. You may vote absentee in person up until 5 p.m. on the day before the election. Photo ID is required to vote.
Students can request an absentee ballot by mail. Photo ID is not required to request by mail.
Registration online
Though it is too late to register now and vote on Nov. 6, students can visit scvotes.org to get an application online to vote in the future. You must be able to print your application or save your application for printing later.

Requesting an application

Students can request an application from the County Voter Registration Office., by phone, mail, email, or fax. You will be mailed an application.
For more additional information on absentee voting, visit scvotes.org

Section Navigation
Support the next generation of Claflin Leaders
Your support provides educational enrichment through student scholarships, loan funds, instructional classroom equipment, preparing Claflin's students to be leaders of the future.