Do you want to learn how to speak persuasively, read analytically, write effectively and to think critically? Then you'll find yourself right at home in the Department of English.
Prospective students will choose from our two English major programs: English Education or English. Claflin offers minors in Theatre Arts, Creative Writing, Gender Studies, English, American Studies, Professional Writing Studies, ESOL Minor and Certificate (English for Speakers of Other Languages),and a certificate program in Gender Studies. Our English programs are designed to give you an aesthetic appreciation for literature, language, and cultures, and learn valuable research techniques.
Claflin University will host its 20th annual Conference on Contemporary English and Language Arts Pedagogy in Secondary and Postsecondary Institutions on October 27-28, 2021. This year’s theme is “Reading and Writing Across the Curriculum: Digital Literacies, Equity and Access.” Sessions this year will be held virtually. Click here to register.
Speakers for the two-day conference include Ms. Nancy Lord, Creative Writing and Literary Arts, University of Alaska, Anchorage, AK, and Dr. Y’Shanda Rivera, School of Education and Social Policy, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
For more information contact Dr. Mitali Wong at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This project addresses business and innovation in the area of women’s family-based entrepreneurship in West Bengal. Promoting the growth of sustainable small businesses led by women will be the focus of this project.
Claflin University, a non-profit private university in Orangeburg, SC, U.S.A. and Visva Bharati University in West Bengal, India present this proposal for a one-year project in promoting women’s family-based entrepreneurship in West Bengal. The proposed Claflin University-Visva Bharati University project will address the small business development needs of women and their family members who work with them. There are six proposed activities of this project to be conducted over twelve months. These project activities will benefit the state of West Bengal in India in increasing women’s entrepreneurship. The training programs should have tangible impacts on job creation and entrepreneurship. For the benefit of the region in the U.S, where Claflin University is located, project staff will explore the prospects of offering a similar training program for women’s family-based small businesses. The project will also expand academic research on entrepreneurship among faculty and students in both institutions.
- Review of research, networks, and resources for entrepreneurship development identifying best practices and benchmarks.
- Develop two levels of entrepreneurship and innovation training programs for women (and families) and run two pilot projects for each program in the Santiniketan area.
- Set up a website for online classes for video learning as well as certificate programs. The website will also serve as one-stop information source for resources for small and micro businesses.
- Set up a “Consortium for Entrepreneurship Development” among women from low income families in West Bengal to plan, to arrange, and to hold a conference.
- Hold a conference on entrepreneurship and innovation at Visva Bharati University and disseminate conference proceedings.
- Work with Orangeburg County Small Business Development Center (SBDC) to explore the prospects of a similar training programs in this area of the state of South Carolina.
Partnership 2020 International Conference Information Below
for more information