Assembly Attendance is part of your university 101/102 course requirements. Excused absences must be cleared through completion of proper paperwork from Dr. Durant's office and shared with your UNIV 101/102 instructor.
The following etiquette is expected:
- The posted time for Assembly is 11:00 a.m. You are asked to arrive and be seated by that time in order to prepare yourself to receive the experience. Plan to arrive by 10:50 a.m. Take a seat in your designated row.
- Late arrivals are very distracting to the audience and are easily visible to the participants seated on the stage. Two unexcused late arrivals will be considered an absence.
- Do not bring electronic devices (cellular phones, games, and others).
to Assembly or any other Claflin University Academic or Cultural Event.
Assemble to Grow, Learn and Make a Difference!
Building community through engaged learning. Held each Tuesday throughout the semester, weekly assemblies are designed to engage students in conversations with key local, regional or national leaders to both foster a sense of community and promote deep thought and discussion on critical issues requiring your leadership.
Students enrolled in University 101/102 are required to attend Freshman Assembly. Business attire is required.
What is business attire?
Traditional workplace attire demonstrates a high level professional appearance and maturity. A professional appearance and attitude along with good manners and poise are an effective combination for success in college and the workplace.
Why are students required to own business attire?
Consistent with Claflin University’s Guiding Principle to offer excellent customer service and demonstrate professional appearance at all times, we ask that you represent yourself in attitude and attire in those most respected and professional manner, when attending formal university functions such as assembly, lyceum events and convocations.
How does business attire differ among men and women?
- Pant or dress suit (navy, black or dark gray)
- Skirt length (no more than 2” above knee)
- Coordinated blouse (conservative)
- Neutral pantyhose
- Moderate shoes. No stilettos.
- Suit (dark solid color)
- Long-sleeve shirt (white or blue)
- Tie (conservative)
- Belt (should match your shoes)
- Dark socks
- Conservative leather shoes
Past Assembly Topics
- Margarita Anderson, author of Our Black Year
- Columbia Ballet
- Pandora Thomas-Envisioning a Sustainable Future
- Dr. Khalilah Brown-Dean, Why We Can't Wait: Embracing the Fierce Urgency of Now
- Mr. Marcus Creighton, Mind over Money: Financial Literacy
- Dr. Arthur Thomas, Knowledge is Power
- Avoiding Identity Theft