Events at Claflin University Celebrate ‘Women of Character, Courage and Commitment’ in March
Mar 12, 2014
Claflin University is celebrating Women’s History Month in March with a series of events focusing on “Women of Character, Courage and Commitment.”
Highlights of the month include the First Lady’s Hats and Gloves Tea at 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 18, in the Tullis Arena of the Jonas T. Kennedy Health and Physical Education Center. Tickets to the Tea – which celebrates sisterhood through scholarship, fellowship and community service – are $50 per person and $500 for a table of 10. Proceeds benefit the Alice Carson Tisdale Scholarship, which is awarded annually at the event.
Motivational speaker Ilyasah Shabazz, daughter of Malcolm X, will speak at 6 p.m. Wednesday, March 19, in Ministers’ Hall. Shabazz, a community organizer and activist, is the author of the critically acclaimed “Growing Up X,” and worked closely on the publications “The Diary of Malcolm X,” “Malcolm Little: The Boy Who Grew Up to Become Malcolm X” and “X.”
On Thursday, March 20, a discussion “50 Shades of Grey: Navigating Relationships, Pressure and Heartbreak” will be presented at 6 p.m. in the Orange and Maroon Room.
Wrapping up the month will be the 2014 Women’s Conference. The two-day event begins with a health fair from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, March 27, in the upper level of the Student Center, followed by a noon “Lunch and Learn” presentation “Eat Right for your Blood Type” in the Arthur Rose Museum. A Pillow Talk session from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Orange and Maroon Room will conclude day one.
Day two, Friday, March 28, begins will a forum from 10 to 11:30 a.m. The Women’s Conference Luncheon will be held from noon to 1:30 p.m., and a master class will end the conference from 2 to 3:30 p.m. All Friday events will be held in Ministers’ Hall.
Other events taking place during Women’s History Month are:
- HIV/AIDS testing and counseling – 2:30-5 p.m. Monday, March 17, in the Multipurpose Room; 2:30-5 p.m. Mondays, March 24 and 31, in the Orange and Maroon Room.
- Chat with AKA Sorority – 7:08 p.m. Monday, March 17, in the Orange and Maroon Room.
- AKA/Zeta Phi Beta sororities Women’s History Month displays – Monday, March 17, in the H.V. Manning Library.
- VOICES Training: Health and Relationships presented by the Counseling Center – 4-5 p.m. Tuesday, March 18, in the Orange and Maroon Room.
- Noonday Meditation with the Rev. Beth Yarbrough – 12 p.m. Wednesday, March 19, in the James and Dorothy Z. Elmore Chapel.
- Financial Literacy with Denver Malcom – 11 a.m. Thursday, March 20, in the Orange and Maroon Room.
- Domestic Violence: Presented by Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and the Counseling Center – 7 p.m., Tuesday, March 25, in the Orange and Maroon Room.
- Noonday Meditation with the Rev. Constance Barnes – 12 p.m. Wednesday, March 26, in the James and Dorothy Z. Elmore Chapel.
For more information about Women’s History Month events, contact Sadie Jarvis at 803-535-5285 or firstname.lastname@example.org.