COVID-19 Update #1 - Wednesday, March 4, 2020
Mar 11, 2020
Wednesday, March 4, 2020
Claflin University is closely monitoring reports concerning the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) internationally and nationally. The safety and well-being of the Claflin community is our first and foremost concern. Our Emergency Preparedness Team is carefully studying this situation and what we need to know as it pertains to our operations at Claflin University.
Claflin University has suspended all travel with its global education programs to China, India, and Dubai. We will continue to monitor the virus and make a decision on study abroad trips scheduled for the end of the semester and the beginning of the summer.
Claflin University is also discouraging travel to high risk areas as outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. However, if you must travel (or have traveled) to any of the high risk areas, please be mindful of the following:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
As information develops, Claflin University’s Emergency Preparedness Team will keep the University informed. If you have any health concerns, please be sure to visit your primary care provider or the University’s Health Center on Goff Street.
Dr. Dwaun J. Warmack